Grand Rapids Pride Center response to COVID-19
As our community is responding to the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the Grand Rapids Pride Center (GRPC) is committed to the health and safety of LGBTQ+ individuals and our community as a whole. We recognize that those we serve may be at a higher risk of infection due to multiple risk factors, including age and compromised immune systems. That being said, we are taking several precautionary measures to keep our clients and guests safe and healthy.
As an organization, we have:
- Installed new automatic no-touch Purell hand sanitizing stations.
- Increased hours per week that our Facilities Staff are scheduled. Facilities Staff are now be scheduled to come in every day that programming and services take place to clean and disinfect common spaces, bathrooms, telephones, doorknobs and other high-traffic surfaces.
- Communicated to staff, interns, group facilitators and volunteers to wash their hands with warm soap and water for at least 20 seconds after using the bathroom, eating food, blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing and when coming into contact with others
- Implemented policies regarding GRPC representatives presenting with cold and flu symptoms. Any GRPC staff, intern, group facilitator or volunteer who present as ill will be sent home. GRPC staff and interns will be given the opportunity to work from home.
- Developed and posted guidelines for limited or no-touch greetings and goodbyes. As an organization, we are recommending that staff, interns, volunteers, and guests greet and say goodbye to folks using hand signs and signals, “air hugs,” and elbow touches.
As guests of the Grand Rapid Pride Center, we ask that you:
- Please stay home if you are not feeling well. Persons that present to GRPC exhibiting symptoms of cold and flu may be asked to leave. If you need emotional support, please call GRPC at (616)458-3511 and one of our staff will be able to assist you. If you’re experiencing a mental health emergency, please call 9-1-1.
- Please sanitize your hands upon entering the building. We have installed an automatic no-touch hand sanitizing station at our front entry.
- Please wash your hands with warm soap and water for at least 20 seconds after using the bathroom, eating food, blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing and when coming into contact with others.
- Please use limited or no-touch greetings and goodbyes. As an organization, we are recommending that staff, interns, volunteers, group facilitators, and guests greet and say goodbye to folks using hand signs and signals, “air hugs,” and elbow touches.
At this time, we are not planning to cancel any upcoming social and support groups, office hours or events. We may be asking that in-person meetings be replaced with conference calls as recommended by social distancing guidelines. We will make decisions regarding Grand Rapids Pride Festival 2020 based on local, state and national recommendations- at this time we are proceeding as planned. We will be staying in contact with local health officials at the Kent County Health Department and monitor recommendations by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) as well as the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Please feel free to reach out to me directly with any questions.
(p): 616.458.3511 x101
Informational Links re: COVID-19: