During regular support groups (see facilitation tip sheet):
Establish and maintain group rules, especially confidentiality among members
Create and maintain a safe and respectful environment for members to freely share their thoughts, feelings, concerns, experiences, etc.
Facilitate participation by respectfully monitoring speaking time and encouraging input from all who are present
Maintain primary focus on members and members needs
Build a community among members
Raise appropriate awareness and refer members to necessary resources
2. Prepare relevant informational materials for each meeting
3. Facilitators are expected to attend each meeting fifteen minutes prior to the start time and stay for the entire duration of each meeting; facilitators are expected to stay for clean-up and until all teens are picked up.
4. It is expected that each facilitator participate for at least two years
5. Facilitators are expected to display a willingness to follow Grand Rapids Pride Center policies and procedures (see documentation)
6. Display an understanding of and sensitivity to not only LGBTQ Youth, but the LGBTQ community as a whole.
7. Facilitators should have the ability to be flexible within a growing, diverse, team-orientated group
8. Prior experience working with the LGBTQ community is a requirement.