GRAND RAPIDS PRIDE CENTER LGBTQ YOUNG ADULTS
POSITION DESCRIPTION (AGES 18-24)
POSITION: LGBTQ Young Adult Facilitator
HOURS/DATES: 20 hours per month
- 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. on the 1st., 2nd, 3rd, and 5th Tuesdays of each month
RESPONSIBILITIES: Provide active support and guidance during LGBTQ Young Group meetings
FACILITATOR DESCRIPTION: Effectively construct and facilitate a safe and respectful atmosphere for all group members to discuss topics related to LGBTQ issues, as well as provide resources when applicable to the needs of group members. Being specifically aware of the needs of LGBTQ Young adults. The facilitator will be responsible for co-facilitating (with another individual) social support groups within the community for LGBTQ Youth. Facilitators are expected to provide a safe, structured environment for discussing topics related to LGBTQ issues and to address specific needs, or concerns of all group members.
1. During regular support groups (see facilitation tip sheet):
- Establish and maintain group rules, especially confidentiality among members
- Create and maintain a safe environment for members to freely share their thoughts, feelings, concerns, experiences, etc.
- Facilitate participation by respectfully monitoring speaking time and encouraging input from all who are present
- Maintain primary focus on members and member needs
- Build a community among members
- Raise appropriate awareness and refer members to necessary resources
2. Prepare relevant informational materials for each meeting
3. Facilitators are expected to attend each meeting fifteen minutes prior to start time and stay for the entire duration of each meeting and assist with cleaning/closing of the building
4. It is expected that each facilitator participate for a minimum of two years
5. Facilitators are expected to display a willingness to follow Grand Rapids Pride Center policies and procedures (see documentation)
6. Display an understanding of and sensitivity to not only LGBTQ Young adults, but the LGBTQ community as a whole.
7. Facilitators should have the ability to be flexible within a growing, diverse, team orientated group
8. Prior experience working with the LGBTQ community is a requirement.
- Every facilitator must successfully complete a criminal background check.
- Young Adult facilitators must be at least 25 years old.
- Must identify with the population being served.
- Complete all trainings offered (at no cost) by Grand Rapids Pride Center
- Consistent commitment to be present at all group meetings (at least 75%), or immediately notify operations manager of changes.
- Ability to collaborate with another facilitator as a team member.
- Possesses the ability to effectively present information.
- Possesses the ability to practice sensitivity regarding diversity i.e. ethnicity, religion, socioeconomic status, cultural differences, etc.
- Facilitator experience/education is needed within the scope of counseling, social work, psychology, or other clinical experience.
- Facilitators are expected to meet with the program coordinator at least once a month to recollect group meetings and other qualifying information pertaining to group meetings.
Do You Have The Right Mindset, Qualifications And Commitment To The LGBTQ Community? If So, Apply Today!